.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My first "green" smoothie!!

I finally did it! I've seen these all over blogland and have been intrigued from day 1 but never got around to trying one. Until today.







Why "green" vs green? Well as you can tell from the pictures, it's more of a mauve smoothie. :) I took baby steps and didn't go too crazy with the spinach this first time, but I'll keep adding it as I make more of these.


Raspberry Mango Spinach Smoothie

1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup frozen unsweetened raspberries
1/2 cup frozen unsweetened mango chunks
1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder

Put ingredients in blender in order listed. Pulse until blended to your liking. Enjoy!!

Verdict? This was great! I did have to add a little Splenda to sweeten it, but I most definitely did not taste the spinach. If anything, I tasted the protein powder, so I might nix that next time, since I'm already getting protein from the milk. The consistency was very thick, almost like a milkshake, so I've been eating this with a spoon.

Now I definitely know what I've been missing out on! This is a great way to get some dairy, fruit, and veggies knocked out, so expect to see these more often.

What's your favorite green smoothie concoction?

3 comments:

Priyanka said...

Yay on your first green smoothie! My fav conc. is Almond milk+ Spinach + Kale + Flax seed+ Banana + strawberry
Adding Banana naturally sweetens it, so you don't have to add any sweetener! However when I started making these I added some sweetness too and took baby steps just like you!

Brandi said...

yay, i'm glad you liked it!

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

So glad you tried it. You really can't taste the spinach at all. I sweeten mine as well. I also like a banana in it to further mask any veggie flavor.
My usual is almond milk, spinach, banana, an orange, flax and sweetener and ice.